Monday 18 August 2014

Weekly Edit: Nicholas Oakwell Couture SS14

The last half of the past week has been filled with celebration for firstly passing my driving theory test and then getting into my first choice of university, Central Saint Martins. I have literally been skipping around the house and seeing what I need to prepare for uni (seeing as I am staying at home). The whole excitement has lead my schedule askew, so my posts have been kind of off (like today). So without further ado, let's kickstart the week with an edit on Nicholas Oakwell.

Nicholas Oakwell Couture is a "London based British Couture House". This designer first came to my attention through an email about Vodafone London Fashion Weekend, as the British Couture House will be showing as part of the Designer Catwalk shows. The intricacy of the appliqué and embroidery used in their SS14 collection is simply awe-inducing, it adds a sense of romanticism and enhances the waistline. One would think that white would wash out the skin tone and increase the look of our figures but, the clever use of semi-sheer materials and bare shoulders, offsets the colour and personally I believe it makes more of a statement than your trusty little black dress (like a dove amongst a crowd of crows). However, if all white is still daunting, the designer has incorporated coloured embellishments to a couple of the designs which certainly carries a more playful tone. The models' slicked back do's provide the necessary simplicity to balance the impact of the dress, while minimal eye makeup and dark red lips create a sensual and dare I say vampiric mood. I thoroughly enjoyed this collection and cannot wait for his next set.

NICHOLAS OAKWELL COUTURE SS14. Image by Andrew Farrar
Organza Gown with White Leather Flower. NICHOLAS OAKWELL COUTURE SS14. Image by Andrew Farrar
Daisy Prom Gown. NICHOLAS OAKWELL COUTURE SS14. Image by Andrew Farrar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *